Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Jones Street Boys - Overcome

The Jones Street Boys are a nice new country-ish group hailing from NYC. Prominent in their sound are the mandolin and harmonica.

My favorite part of their new record, Overcome, is an excellent cover of John Hartford's "Tall Buidings." I really like how they do the final verse a capella. I've already posted versions by John Hartford and Gillian Welch, but this new version might be my favorite yet. It really hits home for me since I've been spend way too much of my time in a tall building. (One of these days this song is finally going to persuade me to get out.)

Jones St. Boys - Tall Buildings (John Hartford cover)

Someday my baby, when I am a man,
and other's have taught me, the best that they can
they'll sell me a suit, and cut off my hair
and send me to work in tall buildings

and it's goodbye to the sunshine, goodbye to the dew
goodbye to the flowers, and goodbye to you
I'm off to the subway, I mustn't be late
going to work in tall buildings

when I retire and my life is my own
I made all the payments, it's time to go home
and wonder what happened, betwixt and between
when I used to work in tall buildings

and it's goodbye to the sunshine, goodbye to the dew
goodbye to the flowers, and goodbye to you
I'm off to the subway, I mustn't be late
going to work in tall buildings


- Lyrics by John Hartford

Another great song from Overcome features guest vocalist Jon Langford (Mekons, Waco Brothers).

Jones Street Boys - One Last Love Song

(buy album).

Listen to the rest of the new album at Jones Street Boys' Website.

1 comments:

WeightStaff said...

I really enjoyed listening to this whole album. This track being one of many great ones. I've posted about them on my blog as well. I'm looking forward to checking out more of your site.

Dave
The Weight
theweightonline.com