Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Stop Everything And Download This Caitlin Rose Song! (Plus five more versions of the Stones' Dead Flowers.)

There is a brilliant young talent down in Nashville who goes by the name of Caitlin Rose. Her debut EP, Dead Flowers, will be released in the near future. It's not available yet, but check this space for more details about how to get this recording as soon as it goes on sale. Believe me, I'll be more than happy to do another post to tell you how to buy it. It's great. Until then, please listen to her cover of the Rolling Stones' song, Dead Flowers.

I think this may be my new favorite version of Dead Flowers. Better than the almightly Townes Van Zandt (this song only). Better than the Eels or Uncle Tupelo, and maybe even better than Steve Earle's great live version. Heck, I might even like it better than the Stones' version. And she's only 20 or 21 years old. This girl's a genuine talent... You heard it here first.

(Caveat: I've had a glass of Old Grand Dad on the rocks, but I don't think that's impaired my judgment too badly. Judge for yourself.)

Enjoy this killer track. You won't be sorry:

Caitlin Rose – Dead Flowers. (Check back later for buying info).

Listen to more Caitlin Rose here: Caitlin Rose MySpace

Just for comparison's sake, here are some other versions:

The Rolling Stones – Dead Flowers (buy album).
Townes Van Zandt – Dead Flowers (buy album).
Steve Earle – Dead Flowers (buy album).
Uncle Tupelo – Dead Flowers.
The Eels – Dead Flowers.

So what do you think?

8 comments:

Ramone666 said...

Nice one Paul. Great vocal, and I like that understated pedalsteel as well. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I went a bit overboard saying it was better than the Stones, etc., (blame the bourbon) but I really like her whole EP. There's a pretty diverse collection of songs. Definitely someone to keep your eye on...

Anonymous said...

doesn't touch the stones, but definitely the best cover of those you have posted here. thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

I like her a lot, and look forward to hearing more from her.

Not to hijack this topic, but it was just announced that Tom T. Hall will be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame this year (along with Emmylou, The Statler Brothers, and Ernest K. Stoneman).

Anonymous said...

Dave,

That's great news and it's high time. As you can tell from this site, I'm a huge fan of both Tom T. Hall and Emmylou Harris (who are also members of my personal country music hall of fame at the bottom of the side bar).

Glad you liked Caitlin Rose. I'm going to post another song when the EP is officially released.

Anonymous said...

Got me to thinking about the other best Stones country song, "Torn and Frayed," and went to the Covers Project to check it out.

Interesting: no covers on record for that one, which strikes me as kind of impossible. A major Stones song that no one has ever covered?

Some indie or alt-country band should put their stamp on that one.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post. Caitlin Rose will be opening for Bill Callahan at the Mercy Lounge on Feb 27th (in case anyone reading this is in Nashville).

Anonymous said...

what about this one?

http://vimeo.com/465434