Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Who, What, and Why of This Website

ABOUT ME

I'm a music fan from Detroit. I like rock, jazz, and old country. My favorite artists are Hank Williams, Tom T. Hall, Gram Parsons, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday, Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Townes Van Zandt, The Replacements, Elvis Costello, and Big Star. And I'm always searching for good stuff (old and new).

ABOUT SETTING THE WOODS ON FIRE

The purpose of this blog is to help people discover and learn about great music. The name is inspired by one of my favorite Hank Williams songs, but this blog won't be limited to just one style of music. I'll write about whatever's inspiring me at the moment. Could be an old rock gem, a new artist, honky-tonk, bluegrass, alt-country, jazz, folk, punk, 80's-alternative, whatever. I'll probably include lots of old country music, because it gets less coverage elsewhere.

Because I want to have a life outside of blogging, I won't post every day (or even every week), but whenever the mood strikes and time allows. If you want to share in the fun, but don't want to have to deal with always checking back for new posts, just subscribe to the feed and you will be notified whenever a new post appears.

(My mission will be accomplished when everybody loves Tom T. Hall. But I might give up before then.)

Ideally, this site will be interactive. If you like something you hear, or have some new info to add to the discussion, then please post a comment or send an e-mail to me. Thanks!

ABOUT THE USE OF MP3 FILES

This website is solely for nonprofit educational purposes. I make no revenue. Nor am I affiliated with any of the artists. My goal in selecting and commenting on the material featured here is to increase public knowledge about music deserving greater appreciation.

Any mp3 links posted here are for a limited time only to enable you to sample music from the artists I'm writing about. I usually won't post more than one song per record, and I always include a link to make it easier for you to buy the music featured here. If you enjoy the music featured on this blog, please support the artists by purchasing their records and going to their shows.

While I believe that the limited use of mp3 files on this site fairly accomplishes the valid purposes of this blog (and calls attention to music worth buying), I have no desire to contradict the specific wishes of any rightsholder. If you hold the copyright and object to having your material featured here, then please contact me directly at the e-mail address above and I will promptly remove the link.

FOLLOW THE MUSIC BLOGGER'S CODE

Post mp3s for a limited time only
Never post full albums
Always provide “buy” links
Take down mp3s on request
Collect no revenue for posting mp3s.

See also The Repo Code:

I shall not cause harm to any vehicle, nor to the personal contents thereof; nor through inaction let that vehicle, or the personal contents thereof, come to harm.

blog comments powered by Disqus