Friday, October 17, 2008

Thank You Friends!


Hey everybody, this is the obligatory one-year anniversary post! Yes, my first official post appeared here one year ago today. Kind of hard to believe I've made it for a full year, since I'm making this up as I go. Anyway, it's been lots of work, lots of fun, and very educational. Thanks to your comments and e-mails I've learned more about music in the last twelve months than ever before. And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks...

Posts: 181
Page views: 212,406
Biggest day: 2,398 views (September 16, 2008)
Most popular post: Who Invented Country Rock?
Most popular song: Caitlin Rose - Dead Flowers (buy) (info)

Big thanks to all of the bloggers who have linked over here and given me so many great tips and ideas over the last year! You know who you are.

Here are some of my favorite songs:

Little Richard - Settin' The Woods On Fire (buy)
Porter Wagoner - Settin' The Woods On Fire (buy)
Frankie Laine & Jo Stafford - Settin' The Woods On Fire (buy)
George Jones - Settin' The Woods On Fire (buy)
Jerry Lee Lewis - Settin' The Woods On Fire
The Flatlanders - Settin' The Woods On Fire (buy)
Hank Williams - Settin' The Woods On Fire (buy)

Comb your hair and paint and powder
You act proud and I'll act prouder
You sing loud and I'll sing louder
Tonight were setting the woods on fire

You my gal and I'm your feller
Dress up in your frock of yeller
I'll look swell but you'll look sweller
Setting the woods on fire

We'll take in all the honkey tonks
Tonight were having fun
We'll show the folks a brand new dance
That never has been done

I don't care who thinks were silly
You be daffy and I'll be dilly
We'll order up to bowls of chili
Setting the woods on fire

I'll gas up my hot rod stocker
We'll get hotter than a poker
You'll be broke but I'll be broker
Tonight were setting the woods on fire

We'll sit close to one another
Up the one street and down the other
Well have a time o brother
Setting the woods on fire

We'll put aside a little time
To fix a flat or two
My tires and tubes are doing fine
But the air is showing through

You clap hands and I'll start bowing
We'll do all the laws allowin
Tomorrow I'll be right back plowing
Setting the woods on fire
As always, my mission will be accomplished when everybody loves Tom T. Hall. (But I might give up before then.)

[P.S. If anybody has discovered any new favorite music as a result of this blog, please let me know in the comments. It would make my day. After all, that's why I'm doing this.]

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, STWOF. Here's to many more.

Anonymous said...

Happy one year anniversary, Paul. "Who Invented Country Rock?" was the most popular post so far and I was the lucky first commenter, woo-hoo!

Let me throw thanks right back at you - for STWOF and being one the best people I've come across in my decade on the net. All accolades are well-deserved, here's to many more years of quality blogging!

Anonymous said...

happy anniversary!!

thanks for all the great music, and especially turning me on to caitlin rose.

enjoy all the music. love tom t. hall too!
thanks again
dave in sf

Ramone666 said...

Cheers cowboy!

Anonymous said...

Feels like STWOF has been around forever Paul, happy birthday. Caitlin Rose brilliant version of
Dead Flowers was a great discovery.
And as a big Townes fan I thank you
for switching me on to his version of the song also.
Tom T Hall has been a great discovery for me as well as John
Hartford's 'Aero Plain' which has
become a real favourite(though it took me a while to track a copy down).
The excellent Country rock series
was a real highlight for me as well. 'Georgia' by the Gosdin Brothers led the way to me purchasing the magnificent 'Sounds Of Goodbye' as well as the Beau Brummels 'Triangle' which surpasses
what I previously thought was their
ultimate country rock statement 'Bradley's Barn' in my opinion.
The jangly 80's series was highly enjoyable and as well as a chance to reminisce I found two great records from the Reivers and True
Believers that are truly superb.
Jerry Lee Lewis country collection
has been a great addition to my collection and has led to me tracking down his country albums
which are of the highest standard.
The Sweetheart, Gram Parson and Elvis Costello posts were also great and many thanks for some excellent George Jones tracks that I never previously heard before.
There's probably loads I forgot or
can't remember right now as well but thanks all the same, this is
definitely one of the best blogs around. Here's to another great year. Cheers.

iamsofaking said...

This is a great blog. Please keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work, fantastic blog, thanks for all the great commentary, links and recommendations, all the very best,
Ramblin Man

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday,
I'm not sold on Tom T. Hall, but you have been very successful in converting me to country music - keep it up.

Anonymous said...

best blog ever man. i love the "classic" stwof design. happy birfday, seriously learned so much here.

Anonymous said...

Excellent job. Happy B-day. Hell yeah it's a lot of work...but in the end it's quite satisfying when you see that you are appreciated.

Keep the good tunes coming.

The Snob
"RMS"

Anonymous said...

We thank you for the new music, sure, but to me, the valuable service you render is reminding us of the old. A lot of artists and tunes we take for granted because we think we've heard 'em so much, but your blog offers the opportunity to really listen to them once again and pay heed to that ineffable something that elevates them above ordinary music
Hope you're still having fun with this, and happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I'd been wanting to learn a little more about country...previously the most useful stuff I'd found on the net was Eugene Chadbourne's reviews on allmusic, but I'd been hoping to find something pretty much like this, and here it is. Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite music blog. Country is just one of the genres I'm into, but you cover it so well. Thanks for the multiple STWOF covers! That may be my favorite Hank song (surely top 5 anyway), and I've never heard anyone else do it.

Anonymous said...

Happy year One! You've become one of my favorite blogs, so keep up the good work.

Duncanmusic said...

thanks for being a great model of what can be done in a blog. I have so much to learn and share yet and reading your postings are all a part of my blogging education. I know that I will get there eventually and I thank you for your encouragement regarding my comments.
Oh, by the way, I found your snail mail address again and am one duplication away from sending you all of Jeff Riales CDs so you may render your opinion on my musical buddy.
Duuncanmusic

boyhowdy said...

Ditto to all the above kudos, Paul -- and a bit of shock, too. All this time I've been assuming you had been blogging longer than I had, and it turns out we're less than a month apart. I SO hadn't realized how close our timing was in blog birthdays! Here's to many more...

Paul said...

Thanks again everybody!

Boyhowdy: Happy B-day to your blog too.

Anonymous said...

Happy 1st Birthday to you! A great music site which I've been visiting regularly since Day 1.

It's grand to know there's someone out there keeping alive the spirit of REAL country music.

More power to your blogging elbow - and here's to your 2nd birthday.

Beth said...

Paul,
Happy first birthday! I hope you're feeling the rosy glow of all these comments.

Strong work and keep it up!

Beth X

Paul said...

Beth (and everyone), You've inspired me to try to keep this up for another year!

Ted Barron said...

Congratulations.

A year on the blogosphere world is like a life sentence. So many great tunes, my favorite thing you unearthed was the original "We'll Sweep Out The Ashes." Keep up the good work

Ted

LD said...

Congratulations Paul! And remember, if you can't move it, paint it. If it has a switchblade knife, salute it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Your Gram Parsons original series was a real highlight - it turned me on to a lot of great songs and singers I wasn't familiar. Oh yeah, and the Country Gentlemen - Fox On The Run is fantastic. Thanks.

Baron Lane said...

BTW, I'm putting you on my blog roll. Not sure why I didn't put you on there before now.

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed your blog. I happened upon it while looking around for Townes Van Zandt stuff and stories. I find here a plethora of knowledge, it's so broad and warm! Thank you for sharing yourself and the tunes you like!

iainmspillane said...

Loving this blog....

C. said...

Congrats, Paul. This site quickly became a must-read for me (probably with the "country rock" post) and I hope you keep going. It does get harder with each year, as I can attest.

chris

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ted, but what about Will Rigby?

Anonymous said...

(I mean Paul! sorry...)

Anonymous said...

Paul, yours is my fave. The Little Richard version of "STWOF" is CRAZY. Thanks.

Unknown said...

im just glad someone else out there likes lefty.

Anonymous said...

Support you!
..................................
plastic mesh