Friday, May 02, 2008

Hank Cover Friday: I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

Hear that lonesome whippoorwill
He sounds too blue to fly
The midnight train is whinin' low
I'm so lonesome I could cry



I've never seen a night so long
When time goes crawlin' by
The moon just went behind a cloud
To hide its face and cry



Did you ever see a robin weep
When leaves begin to die
That means he's lost the will to live
I'm so lonesome I could cry



The silence of a falling star
Lights up a purple sky
And as I wonder where you are
I'm so lonesome I could cry




The Cowboy Junkies' cover of I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, from their famous Trinity Sessions, is regarded as one of the best. I like the bass opening:

The Cowboy Junkies – I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (buy album)

Jimmie Dale Gilmore does a version in his classic West Texas twang:

Jimmie Dale Gilmore – I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (buy album)

One of my personal favorite Hank covers is Little Richard's unique rendering of the song:

Little Richard – I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (buy album)

And now for this week's sound effect: Whippoorwill call (mp3)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al Green!

Anonymous said...

hi, i've just rediscovered your blog & what a great site it is; i have a number of music sites that i visit daily, & somehow the link to this one went missing from my desktop & you duly got 'forgot' about (really sorry!); anyway. been catching up & enjoying all the reads i missed the last couple of months. thanks for the sterling work.
one request, however. any chance you could send me the two little richard tracks you've posted in the past, he's my favourite vocalist?
sonicssixty5@hotmail.com
many thanks, Matt, Worksop, UK

Fashion Serial Killer said...

I've been meaning to get a whippoorwill tattoo...